Classes had a great time getting dirty and digging for buried ‘treasure’. The treasure was in fact potatoes….lots and lots of potatoes; red ones, white ones, big ones and small. Such a bumper crop from only one garden bed! We also harvested a large crop of onions and leeks which will be used in the next few weeks.
Master chefs made pizza scrolls using ingredients from the garden; kale, onions, cherry tomatoes, capsicum, silverbeet and fresh herbs….yum! These are a tasty alternative for the lunch box.
Here is the recipe:
6 sheets of puff pastry
6 tbsp tomato paste
½ onion diced
4 stalks of kale/silverbeet, chopped
6 rashers of bacon, diced
1 punnet of cherry tomatoes, chopped
½ capsicum, deseeded & diced
handful of herbs (parsley, basil) finely chopped
- Preheat oven to 190ºC.
- Spread 1 tbs of tomato paste on each sheet of pastry.
- Divide remaining ingredients evenly over pastry sheets.
- Roll each sheet up and cut into six scrolls.
- Place on a baking sheet lined with baking paper.
- Bake for 15 minutes or until golden.
Mandy Ward, Kitchen Garden Convenor