Term 2 is always a busy one for Kitchen Garden; we have Open Day and the Maleny show to prepare for. Classes have been giving the garden a once over with fresh mulch, lots of weeding and planting of new seedlings into the beds so everything looks ship-shape for Open Day on May 20. Planning is also in full swing for our Maleny Show entries. Each class will be entering one or more items in the cookery/cheese making sections and we are also working on a combined entry in the collage section; the theme for the show this year is ’80 Years of the Maleny Show’ and our entry will reflect this theme.
Year 3 classes joined us for a lesson on Damper making. Lots of crusty, warm damper was devoured with lashings of butter and golden syrup…yum!
Our Rosemary continues to grow at a very rapid rate; it appears that the more we prune it the bigger it grows! Classes put the cuttings to good use and made some delicious smelling wreaths for their classrooms, besides smelling amazing Rosemary is said to improve the memory.
Master Chef’s created a tasty Roast pumpkin and lettuce salad using fresh ingredients from our garden. Here is the recipe:
Roast pumpkin & lettuce salad.
- 500 grams of pumpkin, peeled & cut into 1cm cubes
- 1 tbs olive oil
- 1 large cos lettuce
- handful of rocket leaves
- 1 punnet of cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 avocado, peeled, seed removed & diced
- 100g feta cheese
- ½ cup sunflower seeds, toasted
- 2 tbs balsamic vinegar
- 1 tbs olive oil
- salt & pepper
- preheat oven to 200oC
- place pumpkin in baking tray & toss with oil. Season with salt and pepper & roast in oven until tender (15-20 minutes)
- wash & pull apart the cos lettuce.
- Place 1 lettuce leaf on each plate for serving.
- Whisk together vinegar & oil, season with salt & pepper
- In a large mixing bowl place pumpkin, tomatoes, avocado, sunflower seeds. Add dressing & gently toss to combine.
- Place salad onto lettuce leaves.
- Crumble feta cheese over the top.