Wednesday is a day that holds many opportunities for our students in Years 11 and 12. This year, more than ever, students have embraced vocational and tertiary education opportunities.
- Eleven students have enrolled in Headstart classes at the University of the Sunshine Coast, giving them a taste of university life. The subjects they are studying are diverse: Japanese, Sports and Exercise Science, Psychology, Drawing, Acting, Earth’s Surface Processes, Human Anatomy and three students studying USC’s core unit for all bachelor degrees, Communication and Thought.
- Two students have enrolled in Central Queensland University’s Start Uni Now (SUN) course in Aviation held at the Sunshine Coast Technical Trade Training College in Caloundra.
- Twelve students are enrolled in the Diploma of Business held here at the College on a Wednesday morning, this fast-track course completing over three terms.
- One student has enrolled in a Diploma of Beauty Therapy at Demi International and another in a Diploma of Screen and Media with the Australian Academy of Cinemagraphic Make-up.
- Twelve students have a school-based traineeship or apprenticeship, working one day per week whilst studying for their qualification. Students are completing a Certificate III in Plumbing, Certificate III in Early Childhood Education and Care, Certificate III in Business, Certificate III in Sport and Recreation, Certificate III in Retail, Certificate III in Agriculture, Certificate III Health Services Assistant, Certificate III Aged Care, Certificate III in Hospitality and a Certificate II in Community Pharmacy.
- Three students have enrolled with the Australian Music Conservatory to study a Certificate IV in Music Performance and a Certificate III Sound Production.
- One student has enrolled with the QLD School of Film and Television to complete a Certificate III in Screen and Media.
- One student has enrolled in a Certificate I Construction with the Technical Trade Training College in Caloundra.
- And last, but definitely not least, four students have enrolled with TAFE Queensland to complete a Certificate II Applied Fashion Design and Technology, Certificate II in Automotive Electrical Technology, Certificate II in Automotive Vocational Preparation and a Certificate III in Visual Arts.
I wish all the students commencing their courses all the best for this year and admire their willingness to step out of their comfort zone, work hard and make the most of opportunities presented to them. If your students are interested in courses for Semester 2 or next year, please tell them to call into the Future Pathways office for a chat.
Carol McKee, Future Pathways Coordinator