Congratulations to these students for their successes so far this term:
- Ebony King – 7th in High Jump in Queensland
- JD Theron and Aiden McKellar – played in the QLD Volleyball team in the national championships – their team won!
- The Year 8 girls Glasshouse Volleyball team won silver in the recent state competition
- Noah Standring – Australian Rap dancing champion
- Teanna Newell, Olivia Gray-Wolfe, Isabel Holley who won silver in Quest Brainways competition and are now off to the QLD championships this weekend.
Please let us know if your child has had any achievements outside of school – we would love to acknowledge and celebrate these
This week’s main focus, however, is to congratulate our award winners from the recent Presentation Night. In the same way that an athlete’s success is often more about consistent and persistent diligence in their skill than just talent, many of our award winners achieved their results through regular and consistent work this year and striving for the best possible outcome or product. Thanks for your attendance to the Presentation Night – it’s worth recognising these students for their fine efforts. I hope you also enjoyed viewing the photo stories from each Year Level and had a little insight into the many things that have happened over the course of the year. A rich education indeed!
Focus on Mental Health
This week, the Year 9 leaders put in place a week to focus on Mental Health. It began with an assembly presentation and a guest speaker from the Black Dog Institute who shared insight into her own daughter’s difficult mental health journey. Students were encouraged that being a good friend meant:
- they listened without judgement.
- they helped their friends access a trusted adult who would assist them in finding the best support and help they needed to get better.
- they could access Fact Sheets from reputable organisations to gain a better understanding as these can be very helpful.
There are several great organisations that were recommended to the students – RUOK, Youth Beyond Blue, Kids Helpline to the Black Dog Institute, to name a few. This is a great website for parents.
Week 9 this term will involve three days of alternate activities that will enhance and complement your child’s education. As well, students will use this time to organise their lockers, return texts and laptops. The last day of term, Thursday, is a Year Level fun day. More information on this will be sent out by Year Level Coordinators.