We live in a world where the social media landscape has a huge impact on the knowledge and views we hold and the relationships we have. A recent survey revealed that 60% of teens would happily give up TV over their phone; and, 80% of adults look at their phones within 15 minutes of waking up. Responsible use (such as not using a device when in a class when it is not part of the learning), ensuring content is not at MA15+ and using it only to respect others – not as a means of denigration – are vital things we need to work on together. Let us know if you have concerns or are aware of issues amongst other students. I would like to particularly draw your attention to the chat feature on games as these can often bring in very unsavoury comments and conversation to your child’s world.
Gifted and Talented Programs
There are several Gifted and Talented Programs on offer in June.
Monday 15 June. Brainways Program: Cost: $69.00/student
- Introduction to Quantum Physics
- Advanced Algebra
- Aerodynamics: The Formula for Flight
22 June Level Up Program No Cost
3D Printing, Augmented reality, Recording with Garage-Band, Humanoid Robotics, Green-screening, Code hour
Holiday Program: 25 and 26 June Cost: $39.00/student
- Musical Mathematics
- Seeing the Light: Exploring Light and Lenses
- Breaking the News: News Writing, Reporting and Feature Writing
- From Pigeons to the Facebook: Communication Philosophy
It’s that time of the year. Assessments are becoming due and students may be feeling overwhelmed. In Middle School, most classes allocate significant class time to work on assignments. This is so that students can be supported and assisted to ensure they understand the task. There will still be work they need to do at home. For tests, they will need to study. Here are some ways you can help your child:
- Download the Assessment Calendar off Connect (if you haven’t as yet) and help put the dates of their subject assessments on a calendar in your child’s study area or IT calendar.
- Help your child to email their relevant teacher if you want to check something or need clarification.
- Check their work – another set of eyes on their wording and checking if meets the task requirements can be very helpful.
- Ensure they get to bed on time. Enough sleep is very important.
- Send the relevant teacher an email asking for an extension if your child has genuine reasons for not meeting their deadline – TWO DAYS BEFORE it’s due date.
House Events – Tournament of the Minds and Athletics Carnival
This week, our term non-sporting House Event was held. Well done to the winning team. We have some incredible Brainiacs on board!
Next week is the Athletics Carnival on Thursday at Skippy Park. Come and join in or help. All students must wear their House shirts for this event.
Locks and Lockers
The expectation is that students keep their lockers locked. Students are issued with a lock however, a replacement lock for whatever reason will cost $15.00. Students are not to bring a lock from home. This is because the locks issued by the College ensure we can help access student’s lockers if there was an emergency. We have a master key and know at all times which locker and lock belong to each student.
Jacqualina Vreeling, Head of Middle School