Term 4 is steaming ahead with activities that are a consolidation of what has been learnt, presentations of top performers in all arenas and preparation for the year coming up. It was great to see the students who presented at the GCC’s inaugural ‘Night of Talent’ last week. Last Friday we enjoyed getting to know and introduce our Year 6 students and parents to our Middle School in preparation for next year. This week we had our Sports Awards evening and Year 9 will have opportunity to Explore Uni opportunities next week, Wednesday. In order not to miss these special events and opportunities, please read the following information carefully regarding what’s coming up.
Awards Night is only a few weeks away. Tuesday, 3 November, 6.00pm at Caloundra Events Centre. Please remember all students are required to attend. If it is difficult to organise transport, let me know as I would be happy to help put you in contact with another family who is happy to help out with transport.
Mini Exam block for Middle School in Week 8
In Week 8 of this term there will be several times blocked out for scheduled tests for Middle School. These will mostly occur in the morning sessions and will enable the whole year level to sit a particular subject exam at the same time under the same conditions. Outside of these scheduled sessions, regular classes will run. Students will be informed of the changes to their timetable in this week closer to the date.
Alternative Academic Program Week 9
Too often in school we get bogged down in ‘teaching to the curriculum’ and there is not enough opportunity to really explore learning in a specialist field or fully develop some budding skills. Week 9 will be an ‘Alternate Academic Program’ which will give opportunity for learning to be explored more deeply. Each middle and senior teacher will be preparing and teaching one session of up to six lessons. Students will elect their timetable for the week based on what is on offer. There are some very exciting options coming to light. Tuesday of this week will most likely have day long options. Thursday will be a celebration activity day with the whole cohort and the PC teachers. Details will be given to the students closer to this week.
Getting organised for 2016
- Class lists – do you have any special requests? While we have a more global picture of all our classes, specific individual requests can sometimes mean a lot to a particular child and we will endeavour to look into accommodating this. Please email Jacqualina.firstname.lastname@example.org by the end of October.
- Uniforms – book in for fittings sometime this year if possible as next year gets very busy. If your child has grown over the holidays you are allowed to swap the new item if you keep all the tags on it. You can also layby.
- IT Devices – are to be returned over the holidays. Any breakages will need to be covered by the parents. An audit of laptops will occur in Week 4. Besides checking for damages, the barcode must also be on the computer. Please also be reminded that the laptop must have a cover.
- The Administration Days just prior to school starting from Wednesday 20.01.16 – Monday 25.01.16 will allow students to collect their laptops, texts and purchase uniforms. These will all require bookings for an appointment to avoid lengthy waiting times.
- First day for Year 7: Monday 25 January
- First day for Year 8 and 9: Wednesday 27 January
Jacqualina Vreeling, Head of Middle School