A picture can tell a thousand words. I hope you enjoy these few pictures taken of our middle school students engaged in a variety of school-related activities over the last week. End of Term 1 is a great point in the year. Students are in the routine of their classes and work, they know what is expected of them and how to do the work required. They can have the satisfaction of seeing the products of their labour and demonstrating what they have learnt. For some it can also be a bit of a wake up call as they recognise that maybe they should have worked harder. Whether it is in their class work, homework, study preparation for tests or finishing off assignments. Please have these conversations with your children especially when the interim reports come out at the end of this week. Remember these are a gauge of how they have performing so far. The end of semester report will be a more accurate account of their ability. Students will be doing their own personal reflections and setting academic goals for the rest of this year. These will be emailed home to families.
Parent Teacher Interviews
These will be held in Week 2 next term, Wednesday and Thursday. Parents and caregivers will have the opportunity to meet with their child’s teachers to discuss their progress. Please bring your child to these meetings so that they can be a part of the discussion.
It was great to see our Middle and Senior school students and families participate so generously in our recent Islander fundraiser to support the rebuilding after the cyclone. More than $500.00 was donated and will go to Samaritan’s Purse who are working directly with families in need.
- Year 7 – Canberra: Tuesday morning to Saturday afternoon
- Year 8 – Mary Valley (Higher Ground): Wednesday to Friday
- Year 9 – Monday to Friday
- ANZAC March: Saturday 25th April. As is our school tradition, we encourage all our students to march in the Beerwah ANZAC March and participate in the service at the RSL. Students will need to wear formal uniform, hat, carry a water bottle and arrive at the corner of Mawhinney at 9.00am ready to be assembled and march with our school to the RSL. Year 7’s will have the great privilege of being at the Dawn Service in Canberra celebrating the 100 Years of Gallipoli Anniversary!
- Thursday 30 April – Cross Country. All students are expected to attend this is a regular school day.
This term will conclude with a whole college Assembly during period 1 on Thursday, reflecting on the Easter event. In the account of the crucifixion of Jesus in the Bible, we read of one Roman soldier’s response at the end of the events: The centurion seeing what had happened, praised God and said, “Surely this was a righteous man.” Luke 23:47. What a sacrifice.
Jacqualina Vreeling, Head of Middle School