Sweet potato gnocchi with tomato basil sauce is on the menu this week in Kitchen Garden as we continue to use our abundance of sweet potato and another herb to try. Most children have loved it and licked the tomato basil sauce off their plates.
After all the rain and hot weather we have had, it was so wonderful to be outside in the sunshine with a beautiful breeze to keep us cool while picking out all the weeds that have grown in and around our gardens.
Have a wonderful week and enjoy cooking sweet potato gnocchi with tomato basil sauce.
Sweet Potato Gnocchi
2 medium sweet potato, wrap in foil and cook in the oven. (Makes about 2 cups when cooked)
1 1/2 – 2 cups Flour or Gluten-free flour
Pinch of salt
1 can of tomatoes
3tbs fresh basil chopped finely
1 clove garlic minced
Salt and pepper
2Tbs butter for simmering
- Wrap sweet potatoes in foil and roast in the oven on 180 for 1 hour
- After cooking sweet potatoes, Let cool
- Scoop out sweet potato with a fork and mash it up
- Add egg to sweet potato and mix well
- Slowly add flour 1/4 cup at a time, until the dough starts to come together. (About 1 1/2-2 cups)
- To form the gnocchi, take 1/6 of the dough and add it to a well-floured surface. Turn it around to coat it completely in flour and start rolling it into a snake
- Once the rope of gnocchi is to the width of your thumb, chop it into 1/2 inch sections
- Gently put fork marks in the gnocchi
- Place gnocchi in a pot of simmering water. When they float they are done
- Add can of tomatoes to a hot pan with crushed garlic, chopped basil, salt and pepper.
- Let simmer till heated through.
- Mix gnocchi through it and serve with some cheese on top.
Debbie Goddard, Kitchen Garden Coordinator