Senior School events in coming weeks
Letters were sent home this week with all Senior Students about these upcoming events.
- Senior Parent and Student Information Evening 31 July.
Please come and join us on Wednesday evening for:
- SET Plan information for Year 10 students and their parents
- After-school pathways and QTAC applications for Year 11 and 12
- Guests including Universities, Colleges, Defence Force, Acclaim Apprentices, Apprenticeship Centres, Projects Abroad, Katrina’s Hair and Beauty
- College Heads of Department will be available after 7pm for Year 10s to discuss subject selections
- Helpful resources to take away
Program for the Evening
- Year 10 Theatrette at 6pm for presentation followed by speaking with experts and guests in the library from 7pm.
- Year 11 and 12 Library to speak to guests and experts between 6pm and 7pm followed by presentation in the Theatrette at 7.15.
- Set Plan Meetings for Year 10 Students and Parents
- Will commence on Monday 5 August.
- Can be booked electronically following instructions in mid-year report
- For further information or assistance with booking a SET Plan meeting please contact Mrs Simo McMinn at the College.
- Guidance Officer Meetings for Year 11 and 12
- To review SET Plans and assist with forward planning
- For career information
- For assistance with QTAC applications
- Year 12 parents and students please book in a meeting with Mr Paul Nash by calling the office or speaking to Mr Nash at the Parent Information Evening next week.
- Year 11s will be seen during school hours but parents are welcome to make appointments as well.
Defence Force News
The latest Defence Force Recruiting Newsletter is out. You can read it on our Moodle Site by going to moodle.gccc.qld.edu.au/Students/Future Pathways/Defence and logging in as a guest. If you would like to receive this electronically please email Mrs Ferris. Early next month the Defence Force Recruiting Office in Maroochydore will be running some special sessions as follows:
Wed 31 Jul 13 6pm WITA Information session – Female only
Wed 7 Aug 13 6pm ADF Information session
Thu 8 Aug 6pm ADFA Information session
Wed 14 Aug 13 6pm RMC information session
Students interested in ADFA should start their application in Year 11. Any Year 12 students interested in the Defence Force should have contacted Defence Force Recruiting by now to start gathering information and commencing their application.
They’ve Made It!!! Hooray
Congratulations to the following TAFE students who have completed their Certificate III qualifications recently:
- Jamie Coogan – Hospitality
- Emerson Tasker – Hospitality
- Drew Cork – Media
- Juanita Greasley – Tourism and Events
Congratulations to the following trainees who have now completed their traineeships including Certificate III qualifications with the very generous support of wonderful employers:
- Laura Barthelemy – F8 Media Caloundra, Business
- Spencer Cittolin – Embracia Nursing Home, Aged Care
Well done to these very competent young students!
AND we all know that learning is a lifelong occupation! Many of our College staff are currently updating and upgrading their qualifications. This month two staff have completed Certificate IV Studies.
Mrs Jenny Ritson
Jenny organizes our science labs, and makes sure that all the resources are on hand and kept safely for our students. Jenny has added to her Bachelor of Horticultural Science, a Certificate IV in Laboratory Techniques (Science Operations Officer). We are very lucky to have Jenny running our labs. Here she is with her laboratory helper!
Mrs Jane Murray
Also Mrs Jane Murray in the library has also been busy. Jane is a very long term employee of the College. She has filled various roles including running the library for some time including the big move over to the lovely new building. In between all this Jane has been working towards a Certificate IV in Library and Information Services. Congratulations to Mrs Murray.
Dressmaking Course at Sunshine Coast TAFE
Sunshine Coast TAFE is now offering a short course in introduction to professional dressmaking. Great for people with a love of fashion that are looking for an insight into the industry. For more information contact Sunshine Coast TAFE on 5457 1000.
New Cert IV program at BNIT
Please note this is not a schools program course, and is only available for fulltime study. This program would be a great option for any students that have completed the Cert III Media schools program and are looking for further studies after completing school. There will be another intake of the course in January 2014.
Offered over six months full time at our Ithaca campus (Red Hill), participants undertaking the Certificate IV in Interactive Digital Media will build on the knowledge developed in the Certificate III in Media, to learn a variety of interactive media skills including animation, 3D modelling, editing, screen productions and visual effects.
Using industry standard software (such as Autodesk Entertainment Creation Suite and Adobe Creative Suite) and professional quality equipment, the Certificate IV in Interactive Digital Media program is perfect for those wishing to continue their career in the media industries.
To find out more information about this exciting new program, or to register your interest in enrolling, please visit our website at http://www.bn.tafe.qld.gov.au/ or phone our Customer Service Contact Centre on 131 248.
Work Experience over the holidays
Three enterprising students took themselves off for extra work experience over the holidays. They were Katie Todd at the Oakey Flats Road Vet Clinic at Morayfield, Grace Vlaanderen at the Landsborough Vet Clinic and also Chris Gibson at the Bellingham Maze. Well done to these students who gave up some precious holiday time to investigate career possibilities. Thank you also to these wonderful employers who are so generous with their time and facilities.
Chris Gibson went along to help out at the Bellingham Maze at Tanawha. Chris had an interesting time helping out in the gardens, the teahouse and in the office. Here he is with Owner Mrs Sophy Wrangell and our very own Mrs McMinn.
QUT Gardens Point Open Day
QUT Gardens Point is having its Open Day this Sunday 28 July. For a round up of all the University and Tertiary Institution Open Days go to moodle.gccc.qld.edu.au/Students/Future Pathways/Open Days and Expos. There is a comprehensive and updated list of dates there from the QTAC website.