This term we are learning about eating rainbows – not the rainbows in the sky but rather a rainbow of coloured fruit and vegetables.Classes are learning that different coloured fruits and vegetables are required by our bodies to keep us fit and healthy. All of our recipes are rainbow based this term to reflect our theme.
What weather extremes we have endured this fortnight. Cool and rainy one week to blistering sun another week! Classes have mulched all the garden beds ready for planting and we did manage to plant some seedlings into the beds last fortnight that have actually survived the heatwave conditions so far.
This week our junior chefs made rainbow muffins and here is the recipe:
- 2 cups of self-raising flour
- 1 grated carrot
- ⅓ cup tasty cheese, grated
- 1 tomato, chopped
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup chopped herbs
- 1 large/2 small shallots, finely chopped
- 2 leaves of silverbeet, finely chopped
- Place flour in a mixing bowl.
- Add all other ingredients into the bowl and mix to combine.
- Spoon batter into muffin cases.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes at 200C.
Mandy Ward, Kitchen Garden Convenor