Already we are reflecting on the fact that we are halfway through the school year and it’s wonderful to see how far our students have come in six months! Not only have some grown several inches over the three-week break, but as teachers and parents reflect on the recent Semester Reports it is exciting to see their academic growth. As well, have you noticed they have grown in courage; common sense; or, compassion for others? Or, maybe these are areas we have identified where more education needs to be targeted too? Our lives are a reflection of what we allow ourselves to see, then we can construct a clear path forward.
Reflection helps identify strengths and weaknesses, then we need to attend to areas. Some of the ‘attending’ is celebrating and encouraging our children/students by saying well done to them. How do you celebrate? I know as a child, I nervously watched my parents open my reports and their words were powerful in that moment, positive words are a way of celebrating. The ‘attending’ may also require us to find ways to address and progress our students. Glasshouse has put a few things in place in the coming weeks to help with this ‘attending’.
Please take the opportunity to
- Meet with your child’s teachers in the Zoom Parent Teacher Interviews. These meetings are helpful for your child’s education. They will be held on Tuesday, 2nd August 3.30 – 7.45 pm. You are welcome to book with any of your child’s teachers not only those who have requested a meeting. If you prefer a face-to-face meeting, please email the teacher to arrange a mutually suitable time.
- Celebrate with your child if they receive a Diligence or Academic Certificate. These will be available next week and parents will be informed by email if their child has attained one.
- Encourage your child if they are in Year 8 or 9 in regards to the up-and-coming camps. These are valuable opportunities for your child to grow in resilience. Have you watched the clip of one of our Gold Duke of Ed Alumni students who was the guest speaker at the recent awards ceremony on our GCC FB site?
- Attend the Melinda Tankard-Reist Parent Cyber Safety Session on Monday, 8 August, 6.30-7.30. Here is the link to book your seat for this incredibly valuable session. Other members of the community are invited to attend so please share this link with interested friends and neighbours.
- Save the date for the Justin Coulson Parent session coming up later this term in Week 8 – another great opportunity to learn from these nationally acclaimed speakers.
- Speak with your child, if they are in Year 8, about 2023 Year 9 leadership opportunities as this is a wonderful opportunity to give back to the College community and continue the legacy of creating a GREAT culture and environment. Applications forms can be found on Gateway and must be submitted by Monday of Week 3
Jacqualina Vreeling, Head of Middle School